Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

April 6, 2010

Irony! Definition: Say one thing, but mean something else. I-RUN-EE. I Googled for 20 minutes to find a easy, correct definition of irony...clear as mud....fun as cancer...as pleasant as a root canal...To me this sounds like sarcasm!

When I went to grade school, we read a story that was the epitome of irony. The Gift of the Magi. Was about a woman with beautiful hair. Her husband loved her hair, in fact, he loved it so much that he sold his watch to buy her combs for her hair. Meanwhile the wife sold her hair for a chain for his watch....I-RUN-EE.

So when Alanis Morissette sings about irony, it is all wrong:.

1. "Like having 10 thousand spoons, and all you need is a knife". It isn't irony...in fact I'm thinking just use the side of the spoon, it will cut just like a knife!

2. "meeting the man of your dreams, then meeting his beautiful wife" how is that ironic. It would be irony if his beautiful wife looked exactly like you did BEFORE you have the plastic surgery! Now that is irony! I-RUN-EE

3. "It's a free ride, when you already paid" nope..that is just really bad timing and it would be prudent to ask for your money back! Come to think of it, if you already paid, it isn't free!

4. "Mr. Play it Safe was afraid to fly, he packed his suitcase and kissed his kids goodbye, he waited his whole damn life to take that flight, and as the plane crashed down, he thought 'well isn't this nice'". Ok, this could be an example of irony, but lets analyze what Mr. Play it Safe said when the plane was crashing....'well isn't this nice' (or this is a fine mess you got us into now Olly)...no, Mr. Play it Safe would be screaming, and cursing, why the f$%^ did I take this flight...wtf was I thinking...something like that, but not 'well isn't this nice!' Another question that pops into my inquiring mind is WHY did he wait all his life to take this flight? Where was he going that he put off all these years in anticipation and didn't take his kids with him? Instead of irony, it could be fate!

5. "It's like rain, on your wedding day" that would suck, but unfortunately isn't irony.

I am not sure why I chose to write about irony, except for the fact I love to say it...I-RUN-EE...usually when it doesn't fit, as sometimes I get as confused as Alanis. So is irony sarcasm, fate or just really, really bad luck!

I sent text messages to a few friends on April Fools Day telling them that I was pregnant! It is a joke because I am in my 50's...wouldn't it be ironic if I was? or just really, really bad luck?

2 comments:

  1. love it! once again, a home run! I didn't have a chance to read last night, but I am beginning my day with my best morning read. Isn't it ironic, I am heading out for a job interview, that if offered the job I would be in a 'quandry?' now there is a brand new word for you! The job is a double edge sword! I would most likely love it, the salary would be great, but it would deeply challenge my newspaper dreams...... then again, they haven't even offered it to me!!! just an interview ... isn't that ironic?

    ReplyDelete